Sunday, July 26, 2009

bots and silly glitches

I noticed someone on twitter being reassured that their numbers of followers were not going down because people deleted themselves but because Twitter itself was clearing away bots. I almost bought that.

But twitter seems the more transitory internet distraction. Once I know someone is a spammer, I remove them. That's if I have the time. And how many updates do you need from people you a) have never heard of who b) are not famous ?

It's interesting to see posts from a familiar name as long as it isn't a fraud.

But for me the only real use is to post links to any short I might happen to make, or a piece of video that everybody has to see - from youtube more often than not.

I have a few beefs with youtube which I plan to snail mail them because I can't figure out how to e-mail them, likely by design.

If you post an HD video, it may look great when you first check it. Perfectly clear and full. But then either a) there may be choppiness or freezing or b) it may default to non-HD, which is WORSE than regular DV because it is soft focus. People have to go to the trouble of clicking the HD tab, which they may not automatically do, especially not until they have grown frustrated by a blurry picture. So the HD tends to lose a bit of its luster. The question is whether this is a temporary glitch and Youtube will soon be able to support HD uploads more efficiently, or whether we are all doomed - DOOMED!

I'm almost finished reading The Kill Bill Diary, by David Carradine, which is quite good and can easily be picked up and put down between subway rides. At the moment it's the sanity book I'm carrying, something to read and focus on if I can keep my eyes open. The subway has a natural sleep-inducing current or something. I think it messes with neurons or something. But my study is far from scientific, since most of my use has been going to and from a night shift and once you get into the subway and have no duty or crisis to look at there is a tendency to shut down.

That must be the microcosm of people retiring early and then dying because they are not occupied. Even if I'm in dire straights over the next month I plan to occupy myself somehow. I may even shoot some video when I'm in North Bay at the beginning of August. Before I go away I'd better see what can be set up for the rest of August and what plans are ahead for something I'm helping shoot on the 7,8,9th.

Knowing to plan ahead isn't enough sometimes. I should have had a blood test for a doctor's appointment next week. Haven't had it yet. If you see a doctor every three months and usually get a form filled out for a blood test you have three months to misplace it. It's like an archeological breakthrough when I find something in my apartment. I found a rotten banana in my backpack the other day. I had been wondering what the weird smell was. This is the result of grocery stores charging 5 cents for plastic bags. We become more environmentally conscious and use whatever bag is at hand. There is room in a bag of gym clothes for some food, and also maybe some room for it to become lost under something. The banana would not have gone bad if I was doing more filming as I had planned this summer, because I would have to put my camera in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment