Friday, December 11, 2009

film and sleep

I saw a good film by a friend of mine tonight, his best yet, with strong believable performances throughout. So much dialog that it seemed like a short padded into a feature, but it kept my attention so I can't complain about running time. It was based on a play after all. If I submitted the same script, people would say "Too much talking" or "Show, don't tell." But sometimes letting the characters talk is just fine and the only time we can allow that is when we do our own movies.

The trouble with me and being a film fan lately is that once a movie is part way through my eyelids get heavy. I don't know if its my meds or being middle age, but the same thing happened watching Inglorious Basterds so it is no reflection on the movie itself. It's an ironic sort of curse - that the simplest thing I enjoy - sitting down to watch a movie - is now complicated and involves effort. I used to be astonished when people would say they didn't feel up to a movie or didn't have time. Now keeping my eyes open and also the sitting part can be a chore thanks to developing a bum rear end you might say.

I'm not sure what the solution is. And I've yet to sit down and watch all of the Extended Lord of the Rings DVDs, let alone the special features, even though for years I was all about the commentaries. Maybe I'm unconsciously telling myself something. Maybe once I have made more progress with my own projects and feel like first and foremost a writer/filmmaker then I can enjoy movies again. I'm wondering if it is psychosomatic. But I doubt it. It might be the beginning of the big FADE OUT. Maybe I'm making more of it than I should. But I couldn't even drag myself to the after-party and I really need to do more of that. I mean who do I think I am wandering off and skipping the party? It's not like I don't need to meet new people or pay attention to the people I already know. I still have my sleepy head up my fissure-laden anus.

Too much information? Oh, well, it's not like anybody reads these blogs. If it wasn't for Kevin Smith being graphic about medical problems I'd be in a silent panic, so it's likely that there's no such thing as too much information. I wouldn't want people to say "we had no idea" when I die of something. I want to make sure the signs and red flags are up, in case anything can be done. I have a doctor's appointment this coming week, and this guy is good. But I still haven't replaced the awful and neglectful GP I had up to 2006. Oops, is that slanderous? Not if I don't name the buck-passing, lying jumble of abuse. With any luck there will be a decent GP out there who doesn't greet honesty with "If you feel that way, maybe we should close your file." I didn't realize how quality of doctors has been nose-diving lately, but that's what I'm hearing. I once got yelled at for mentioning more than two ailments during a visit -- as if I'm supposed to know the rules for patients in Ontario. Apparently instead of giving the holistic picture and being pressed for "is that all?" as it used to be, now we have to split up our ailments and come back for another visit so the doctor can bill accordingly.

I just hope whatever is shorting me out isn't something that could have been caught if I had all the right people looking at me at the right time. Next, my eye doctor whose office sent me some insurance letters that had nothing to do with my situation and seemed like junk mail pitches. I thought it was bad enough that I never know when the bank or the phone company are really calling or whether it is some worthless time-wasting promotion cold-call. Maybe stress and exhaustion are the cause of my sleep seizures - that's what I call them - and my sore butt.

No comments:

Post a Comment