Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eddie Murphy not Richard Pryor ?

I just realized I haven't been blogging since August 22, which happens to be right after my first shift at Maple Leaf Gardens here in Toronto. That may not be coincidence. I've felt like I had to stifle some interesting blog observations because there is a certain discretion about working in security. Battle of the Blades has come and gone, and the site is in transition. There is much to say, which won't be current anymore but may be referred back to.

No, for some reason checking imdb is what gooses me to eschew any entries I've got waiting in longhand ready to type up. Turns out that with zero fanfare Marlon (Senseless) Wayans has won the role of Richard Pryor in Bill (Dreamgirls) Condon's biopic. I remember perhaps a year ago reading that there was definite fanfare about the prospect of Eddie Murphy playing Pryor and it seemed the deal had been sealed. So what has cheated us out of seeing this Murphy as Pryor movie? I know that Marlon was in Requiem for a Dream, which is a fine movie, but he wasn't born and kissed by God to play Richard Pryor. WTF? If he ends up winning an Oscar, I fear for Murphy's life. I look at Murphy's imdb page and the list includes Untitled Brett Ratner Project like Ratner is now Woody Allen. I don't know if the director of Norbit and Meet Dave is represented on Eddie Murphy's full docket of upcoming work commitments. But I'm shaking my head. Is the best we have to expect the planned Beverly Hills Cop IV? I'm sure even that will be botched. I know there were some no-nothing internet wags making noise against Murphy's stature versus that of Richard Pryor. But with all due respect, Murphy has more range as a performer. I'd really like to know the circumstances under which Eddie Murphy left that project. I don't give a Ratner's ass about show business or scandal and the airhead flitting of gossips, but I care about the quality of movies being made available and what is behind the big mistakes. What went wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment