Monday, December 22, 2014

First Stand Up

Although I have performed written monologues and acted on stage or in shorts over the years, I chose to end this first attempt at stand-up with the somewhat false statement that I haven't done anything like this. The new aspect is talking mostly off the top of my head, which is not something that I embrace. But whether I choose to pursue this or not, at least I have gotten around to trying Stand-up. It was done at a relatively new small venue called The Barber Shop. There were a scattering of people, but it still counts. I have trimmed out a couple of beats that were outside if my control, bringing the set fro 7 minutes to just under 5, with images added later to support whatever flash-in-the-pan pop culture issue I might be talking about. When talking about Christmas blues I used an image from Mixed Nuts by Norah Ephron, a remake of a French film which has a title that translates to "Santa Clause is a Motherf**ker." All things considered, in the future I may just write and memorize something. And maybe stay away from current issues. But for now, whether it represents my opinions or an inversion of them, at least this is a stab at stand-up of some kind. It was last minute enough that the only recording device I could set up was my laptop camera so I just put it on a chair. Also recorded some dancing which I hope to post elsewhere. (Not my dancing, don't worry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment