Sunday, June 1, 2014

Why I'm Anti-Feminist and why Feminism does NOT equal equality

Had to share this in my blog. Not a fan of abortion, but I agree with much of what you said. "Slut-shaming" seems like a perfect term for this era being raised on advertisements and pandering. When people cross the street, I hear them complain that bikes and cars don't watch or abide the lights consistently, and yet the complainer persists in failing to LOOK BOTH WAYS before crossing, as he/she learned as a child. They see the green light and care only that it is their RIGHT to cross the street. Some drive defensively and avoid daydreamers and accidents; we also have to walk and live defensively. It is crazy to blame a rape on what someone is wearing, because responsibility lies with the rapist - or under the rapist - who in turn is expected to read rape-shaming blogs and tweets and socially responsible Facebook updates and learn to be a non-rapist. If I equate the aggressor with an animal - a predator - the answer from a "feminist male" will be, "Well I sure don't feel the impulse to rape when a woman is dressed sexy." That's because he is not the dangerous offender we are talking about. Bono sang, "I don't believe in forced entry / I don't believe in rape / but every time she passes by wild thoughts escape." I was once with my nephew at a hotel pool and my mother quietly made an observation that "girls today have no modesty" because there were girls anywhere from tween to 16 flaunting bodies and tattoos that cause an adult to turn his head and then blush and flinch away. The fashion industry has no problem photographing them and sexualizing them.



Some refreshing arguments, well put forth.  Had to share this, even if there are

sub-issues with which I disagree.  Not that anyone is asking.  I'm no fan of

abortion, legal or illegal.  That is to say that I don't respect it, and the rush to

whitewash it as a way to feel good about having done it I do not respect.

The fertilized human embryo with 46 chromosomes, begins a process that may

end 100 years later, that of a growing and aging human being.  It may be

spun as the same as a (23 chromosome) sperm, but THAT can be called a

belief, just as "the baby becomes quick at birth" is a belief.  Gestation being

a stage of human life is not a matter of belief nor of opinion.

  ----------------------------------

That aside, I like this woman's willingness to challenge the popular opinion

of her peer group.  I personally think that in theory feminism is a good thing,

in the sense that equality is a good thing.  Equal freedom and responsibility,

as well as equal treatment and accountability are vital.  If that - in practice -

is officially part of feminism, then there is no problem.  Otherwise, the word

seems arcane.

No comments:

Post a Comment